Saturday, August 21, 2010

How do you deal with friends who don't agree with your parenting style?

I'm pretty crunchy and am going to be doing some things with my baby my good friends probably won't agree with, like babywearing, cosleeping, extended breastfeeding, homeschooling and delaying (or skipping) vaccinations. I've researched all of these things and think they are best for my child. And it's one thing just to not discuss those things with strangers or acquaintances, but with good friends who will be around all the time it's going to come up. I have no problem sticking up for how I want to parent, but I also don't want my responses to make it seem like I think they are bad parents just because they don't do the same things with their kids. They are very good mothers, despite doing some things I don't think I would ever do with my kids (like cereal in the bottle, giving juice at only 4 months, circumcising for aesthetics etc.).





I don't think anybody parents exactly the same, and that's fine. If they are doing something with their baby I don't approve of I pretty much just keep my opinions to myself, I know parenting is hard and everyone just does the best they can with the info they've been given. I also really don't want to have to be constantly defending my parenting choices. How do you deal with other moms who think they know better, when those moms are your friends?How do you deal with friends who don't agree with your parenting style?
Well I personally don't go with the baby wearing, co-sleeping or anything like that, but I do think that you have the right to choose what you feel is best for your own child. If that is what works for you, then I'm glad and you can do that with your own child.





I breast fed (still currently breast feeding my 1 year old) and I do what I feel is best for my children, but parents are all different in their approaches to parenting.





If they try to drag you down for breast feeding, baby wearing, co-sleeping etc, then simply state, ';It works for us and we enjoy it'; and leave it at that. Don't feel like you have to justify what you want to do with your own baby.How do you deal with friends who don't agree with your parenting style?
Although I don't agree with a lot of what you said (like many of your friends will not agree) it seems like you have thought out your points and are not bashing any one, so there should be no problem there. The only time a problem will arise is if you get to preachy but it does not seem like you are.





Now you will have to expect some of your friends to challenge your opinions but if you keep it to the facts and only the facts without getting personal then you will be fine.
you do you if that's the way you want to raise your kids then so be it and if they don't like it let them kick rocks
My best friend and I have kids the same age, and our parenting styles are so different. We both have respect for each others parenting. We know that we both love our children and are only doing what we think is best for them.


Your friends should have respect for you, as you should for them. Don't go preaching your parenting views to them, and hopefully they will do the same. If they ask you about why you do something, just tell them that it's what you think is best for your child.


If they try and tell you otherwise, just kindly let them know that, while you appreciate how much they seem to care for your child, you have done your research, and that you are going to do what you think is right for your child, and you know they do what they think is right for their children.


My friends who are also mothers respect my parenting choices. Some family members tend to be less respectful, unfortunately, and as a result, see my child less.
i dont agree with allot of what you said but thats why everyone is an individual we make our own choice on everything including parenting :) And just because we dont agree dose not make it wrong.
I basically just tell them why I do or don't do something if they ask. . .





The common ';issues'; are - that we didn't circumcise our son (no medical reason to put him through that pain), our family is vegetarian (GASP!! - turns out research shows vegetarian diets are usually more healthy if done correctly), and we co-sleep. Those are usually the three topics ';of discussion'; lol. I have my logical reasons for why we do the things we do. To each their own, I don't bring any of it up unless someone asks:-)
I dont have any friends who think they parent better but if I did, I would just try to switch topics or try to ignore them. I dont mind listening to advice but its my decision if I want to follow that advice. Now if someone said outright that they thought I was a bad parent because of something or other, then Id obviously be a little mad. Id have to defend myself. Real friends wont do that to you though. They may disapprove of your parenting techniques but if they really are your friend, they wont say it. Its true that everyone parents differently; every parent has a right to choose how they will raise their child.
If they question you, think about what they are saying. They may have some good insight. But friends shouldn't require you to constantly defend yourself (as a parent or anything else). Just tell them you are trying a different style (it's general %26amp; harder for them to argue with). When the kids (yours %26amp; theirs) get older, you can all sit around as old ladies and discuss how they turned out (who was right, who was wrong) but until then it's just you doing your thing %26amp; them doing theirs. Good luck.
I would think your friends can understand the need to respect each others choices, the reality that some things are a matter of personal preference and opinion, and that you can all agree to disagree sometimes without a fight. Just respect. Your not doing anything to put your child in peril. There is plenty of people on both sides of those fences, and everyone has their reasons why they do or don't do various things. I would think a friend can respect that despite personal opinion.
You know your friends best. Do you think they will be the type of people that will give you a lecture because they disagree, or are they going to keep their opinions to themselves for the most part? As 'Best Mom EVER' mentioned, as long as you don't get preachy and make ';your'; parenting choices seem like the only way to go you shouldn't have anything to worry about. There your choices, they may not of been my choices and they may not be your friends choices, but its your baby and you are allowed to raise that child as you see fit.





If for whatever reason they feel like preaching to you just take it for what it is. It's obviously not going to change the way you decide to raise your child. Simply state ';while I appreciate your opinion, I feel that by doing _________ is in the best interest of my child';. There is nothing offensive about it and nobody can be rightly upset with you for feeling the way you feel. Just shrug it off. There your friends, so I really can't see you coming into a situation like this. But if all else fails! Use the above line. =)
Hey can dads answer, too? I think you're going to be fine (noone knows everything, except most of us think we do) except that vaccination issue. That is one HOT topic; I would change the subject on that one. Sorry, but I will tell you what to expect because it is probably how I would respond if it came up. Many parents believe that parents who do not vaccinate their children are potentially putting our children at risk while having no scientific evidence to justify your belief. So, as you see, it's probably a lot like politics, religion, and abortion. It is best sidestepped in polite company.

No comments:

Post a Comment