Wednesday, August 18, 2010

How do you deal with homophobic friends?

I'm almost sure she doesn't know I'm gay, but she's definitely proved to me whose side she's on. I've already drifted pretty far away from her, to the point where I don't even like to talk to her. I feel awful about it, because she's a really shy person and doesn't make friends easily. But I don't think it's right to be friends with someone because you feel you have to be, not because you want to be. We obviously have different interests in mind.How do you deal with homophobic friends?
If she doesn't know you're gay, then maybe you should tell her. She obviously doesn't have much exposure to the gay community for her to be homophobic. She doesn't know what it's like to have a gay friend. Maybe you need to show her that it's okay to know gay people and that it's not much different. How is your friendship with her when you guys hang out? (assuming you're still friends to a degree) Maybe this will make her think and change her views about the gay community. But then, if you do reveal yourself, you're risking the friendship. That's your choice. And if she still won't budge, she's not the right friend for you.How do you deal with homophobic friends?
well if you've driffted apart already then i would say you'll be fine coz you don't really talk to her that much anyways
Tell her that you don't tolerate hateful comments or viewpoints, and that her comments and actions are hurtful and incorrect.





If not, just leave her. You'll find your TRUE friends in time.
You dont, they have to deal with you





I have not heard from a girl like her like that in years, all open and stuff, I need to know her, we need more girls like her
Think about yourself. You don't have to be so nice to pretend in front of her and make yourself look like a dunce. You would start losing your own confidence if you listen to her talking a lot because you say she's not on your side. Or play this game that you have a new friend who's gay and that your new friend is really good and try finding out what her reactions are. If she doesn't bother to listen why your new friend justifies her life style...move on. You don't want to have such friends at all
I deal with homophobic friends by not haveing homophobic friends. I feel that you have done the right thing by drifting far away from your friend.*
Tell her you feel the opposite of her feelings towards people and don't feel comfortable to hear her say those things. And tell her if she wants you two to still be friends then she has to STOP.
Well I have told some of my friends that I am bi, and unfortunately, some of them are strict Mormons. Most religions say that homosexuality is wrong so my friends were kind of weird about it. One of my friends who is Mormon and doesn't know I am bi was kind of bashing homos and I got angry and just walked away. I'm pretty sure she gets that I'm bi now. If your friends are homophobic and they don't support you, then they are not good friends at all.
I've got no homophobic friends, thankfully.


But I do have homophobic parents. Well, my dad mostly.


When he makes a 'gay joke' or a gay remark, I simply tell him to shut up. And yes, in those exact words.


My mom, I don't know. She's told me that its okay to be who you are (no, I didn't tell her about myself, but I do bring up topics about it just to see her reaction and what she'd say about it).


But then again, when around my dad, and there happens to be something about gays on the TV or something, she comes up with a little 'eww'.


But I don't know, I just tell them to shut up. Which you should also tell your friend(s).
I don't see that friendship lasting much longer... you basically just answered your own question.

No comments:

Post a Comment