Saturday, August 21, 2010

How to deal with friends who change..?

So I had a best friend in high school - we were super tight, did everything together, etc. Well, we're now in our third year of university and our relationship is slowly deteriorating more and more as time goes on. There have been several occasions over the last few yrs where she has left me hanging/blew me off and I have really come to resent her for it (I'm really hurt by it). Yet, we remain ';friends'; but I struggle with this because she is not the friend she once was to me, not even close. (This being said, I know deep down she cares about me and wants to stay friends).





Do I just accept the fact that she has become a relatively flaky person and that we're likely only going to talk when she can spare 5 minutes? Am I just supposed to ';take what I can get'; from now on and be fine with it? I'm wondering - if someone used to be such a good friend and turned into someone who makes far less effort than they used to, why bother keeping them at all? Plus, she has changed in other ways - she drinks/parties a lot now (she hasn't tired of it yet..) and has SUCH a naive attitude towards guys! I spend most of our ';friendship'; irritated at the crappy friend she has become.





Thoughts? Thanks.How to deal with friends who change..?
Don't make any announcements about how your friendship is over. Just put this friendship on a back burner and start spending time with other people. Quit calling this person, and when she calls you say...Oh dear, that sounds so lovely and I would certainly have loved to have done that, but I have already made plans.





The world will go around and around and, one day, your friend will grow up and be a better companion. That is why you don't make announcements that the friendship is over, you just quit putting time into it for now.How to deal with friends who change..?
Unfortunately, nothing is forever (except Christ). People grow apart. Start cultivating a new set of friends.
Sometimes friends grow apart and you just have to adjust and move on like she has. Its obvious that she doesn't value the friendship that you once shared. So its time to move on and find you some new friends and don't worry she will wake up and want to be your friend again and then you can blow her off.
Uh, I don't know what you think your choices are besides either taking it or leaving it.





Sometimes friendships will go through times when the friends are less close, then they get close again; sometimes they end.





If you're not happy in the friendship NOW, then why keep getting in touch?





You can't change her. All you can do is choose whether to contact her the same, less, or not at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment